Expert Tips to Repair Step Flashing
How to Prevent Water Damage and Improve Your Home's Appearance
If you have a home, then you know that it’s important to keep it in good condition. One of the ways to do this is by properly repairing step flashing. Step flashing is used along roof edges and joints, and if it’s not installed correctly or starts to leak, it can cause water damage to your home. In this article, we will discuss how to repair step flashing and prevent water damage. These tips will not only protect your home but will help improve the appearance of your home’s roofing!
What is Step Flashing?
Step flashing is a piece of metal, typically galvanized or the same color as your shingles, that is bent to a 90º angle. Step flashing makes an L-shaped barrier between walls, chimneys, etc. and your roof. Flashing should be installed in layers to direct water away from the seam. It should also be installed between 2 layers of shingles to best prevent water damage.
Step Flashing Installation Tips
If you live in an area with a lot of snow, you might know that shingles can buckle under the weight of snow sitting on a roof. Properly installed step flashing can support the shingles and prevent them from buckling. Here are some tips on how to install step flashing:
- Make sure that the first course of shingles is installed correctly. This will provide a good foundation for the rest of the installation.
- Install the step flashing under the shingles, making sure that it overlaps with the course below it.
- Secure the step flashing with nails or screws, making sure that they’re driven into solid wood.
- Seal any gaps between the step flashing and the shingles with caulk or roofing cement.
Once you’ve installed the step flashing, you can then install the rest of the shingles. Make sure to overlap each course so that water can’t get through. Also, seal any gaps between the courses with caulk or roofing cement. By following these tips, you can prevent water damage and improve the appearance of your home’s roof!
If you have any questions about repairing step flashing or preventing water damage, feel free to contact Clayton Hoover & Sons. We will be able to help you choose the best products and provide expert installation services. With our help, you can keep your home in top condition and improve its curb appeal
Just getting started? Here are some possible next steps:
- Choose the right products: Step flashing is available in a variety of materials, including aluminum, galvanized steel, and copper. Make sure to choose a material that will withstand the elements and last for years to come.
- Hire a professional: While you can install step flashing yourself, it’s best to hire a professional roofing contractor. They have the experience and expertise to properly install step flashing and prevent water damage. Plus, they can also help you choose the right products for your home’s roof!
- Inspect regularly: Once you’ve installed step flashing, make sure to inspect it regularly for any signs of wear or damage. If you notice any issues, make sure to contact a local roofing contractor so they can repair it before it causes any further damage.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your home’s roof is in top condition and prevent water damage. If you have any questions about repairing step flashing or improving your home’s appearance, we are always here to help. If you’d like the job done professionally, you can contact us for a free estimate at ClaytonHoover.com/roofing. We use top-of-the-line products and have over 75 years of expert experience in roofing. Thanks for reading!